Thursday, April 11, 2013

Get out now!

When I look back at my days growing up in the scouting organisation I realise that while I learnt many technical skills in the Friday night meetings, the real life skills and growth experiences came when I was out in the bush, camping and hiking.



I can remember the nights under the starry African skies sitting around a fire as it burnt down talking and listening to others talk about life and their experiences.  There is something about a fire in the outdoors that encourages people to share their thoughts and lives in a way few other settings do. 

And in the rough and tumble of being away from home and the "restrictions" and excuses of modern snivelization we learnt how to stand up for ourselves, what mattered to us and what we actually were capable of - many's the kilometer I hiked when I was convinced in the morning I could walk another step. 
We also learnt independence and the strength of working as a team and how to balance them. And none of these lessons were learnt sitting being lectured to, they were learnt by getting dirty doing things and by emulating the role models we had.  Much of my personality today, and the parts I like, reflect elements that remind me of some of them especially the Rob Millard and Peter Wintermeyers of the world.

I often wonder how to recreate that openness to learn and safe place to experiment and grow in the workplace. What comes so naturally to children seems sometimes to be such a challenge to adults who are overly conscious of others' opinions.

As as the world grows and seems to be busier and faster, I wonder what our scouts (and more so other young people not fortunate enough to be involved) miss out on as we see less and less people making the time to get out camping and into the great outdoors. 

Whatever you do don't deprive your kids (and scouts) of this opportunity.  Make the time to give them the memories of smoke drifting up from a dying campfire between the leaves into a star speckled sky as you talk in hushed voices.  Those will be memories and lessons they will treasure all their days.

No comments:

Post a Comment